Saturday, February 28, 2015

Seaman's Ditty by Gary Snyder (1985) in "Left out in the Rain" published North Point Press, 1986

I'm wondering where you are now
Married, or mad, or free:
Wherever you are you're likely glad,
But memory troubles me

We could've had us children
We could have had a home
But you thought not, and I thought not,
And these nine years we roam

Today I worked in the deep dark tanks,
And climbed out to watch the sea:
Gulls and salty waves pass by,
And mountains of Araby.

I've travelled the lonely oceans
And wandered the lonely towns,
I've learned a lot and lost a lot,
And proved the world was round

Now if we'd stayed together,
There's much we'd never've known
But deary books and weary lands
Weigh on me like a stone

(Indian Ocean)



(www.oregonlive.com682 × 507Search by image
Page by Jeff Baker - View full size Beth Nakamura/The Oregonian Gary 

No comments:

Post a Comment