Sunday, December 7, 2014

My doctors tell me
to watch what I eat
I do, I watch each morsel on my fork or in my spoon

From bowl to mouth first passing the nose
I never take my eyes off my food
Like a lover entranced

I take my meals in certain restaurants
Where my senses are overwhelmed
And my heart races in anticipation of gustatory bliss

Dribbles of savory fat
A multitude of sweet or salty crumbs
tablespoons of fragrant tangy sauce  

a soupcon of basil
a whiff of mint
a dollop of cookie dough

and always fragrances
of baking
of roasting

of garlic with pan seared meat and vegetables
in a pot of broth
waiting for onions…

my revelry ends and I think,
sadly,
the doctors meant something else

So I began to cook for myself
and soon l would make these wonderful experiences
for myself, and I did

I bought a new kitchen
And pots, pans, and cookbooks
knives and fancy dishes

I measured and counted pieces, calories, and memorized glycemics
I faithfully chanted “death to the whites”
whilst genuflecting in front of my new gas range

I am obedient to those who “practice” medicine
(how much practice do they need?)
But where did all these damn dishes come from

No comments:

Post a Comment