Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Day Before


He beat my aunt up pretty good
and she was hiding out at Mrs.  Fishback’s
A small one story wooden framed house on a quiet street
with a peaked dormer over the front porch

heavy curtains covering the front windows
occasionally a faced would peer out at the street whenever a car went by
my mother made me go over there and take my aunt something
I don’t remember what

anyway she was hiding out  from him  again
I wondered if  she did anything but never found out
the next day he let the dog out
and set fire to himself
               
She was a character from a Dashiell Hammett novel                       
she was earthy hard working,  gambler, who knew about bars and men               
smoked shorty cork tipped Kool cigarettes endlessly lighting another and another
She was the youngest of three sisters but older than her brother

He was a rough guy, did time in the state prison down in Salem
everybody was afraid of him, his temper, his strength
he drank a lot and always had a pocketful of cash
he taught me how to fish when I was little and how to drive when I got older

No comments:

Post a Comment